Alberta is home to leaders and innovators, each demonstrating a unique approach to environmental stewardship.
The Emerald Awards showcase those who raise the bar in addressing local, regional, and global environmental & climate issues. In doing so, a standard of excellence is set that inspires others in their own practices.
The 30th Annual Emerald Awards took place virtually on June 1st. If you missed it, you can watch it for free on our YouTube channel and read the digital program!
Celebrating an organization or individual’s legacy of environmental excellence in addressing and mitigating the effects of local, regional, and global climate and environmental issues.
The 2021 Legacy Categories are:
- Business presented by Edmonton Community Foundation
- Showcasing an organization engaged in commercial, industrial, or professional activities that have demonstrated a meaningful commitment to an environmentally sustainable future.
- Community Group or Nonprofit presented by Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Recognizing associations dedicated to furthering a particular social cause or advocating for a shared point of view that has demonstrated a significant commitment to the environment through their actions.
- Education presented by Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation.
- Acknowledging those that have raised the bar by showing leadership and creativity in educating students of all ages about environmental matters.
- Youth presented by City of Edmonton
- Recognizing people, 25 years of age and under, who have made meaningful contributions and have taken positive action to improve the environmental health of their community.
- Lifetime Achievement presented by Capital Power
- Celebrating environmental leaders who, throughout their lifetime, have made contributions of outstanding environmental significance.
Showcasing the Albertan environmental projects and initiatives that have addressed and mitigated the effects of local, regional, and global environmental issues by achieving excellence aligned to certain environmental priorities.
The 2021 Project/Initiative Categories are:
- Water presented by Jamieson Laurin + Co.
- Recognizing projects and initiatives that demonstrate excellence through the monitoring, management and/or stewardship of water and watersheds.
- Air presented by City of Calgary
- Recognizing projects and initiatives that improve air quality.
- Land presented by Alberta Real Estate Foundation
- Recognizing projects and initiatives that demonstrate excellence in sustainable land use.
- Energy presented by Yellowbike Solutions Inc. & Bioenergy Solutions Inc.
- Recognizing projects and initiatives that positively support the evolution of our province’s energy systems.
- Waste Management presented by Alberta Recycling Management Authority & Beverage Container Management Board.
- Recognizing projects and initiatives that innovate the repurposing, reduction, and disposal of waste in an environmentally conscious way.
- Recognizing environmental advancements in the ways we design, construct, and travel.
- Public Engagement & Outreach
- Recognizing programs and initiatives that educate and empower the broader public by teaching the necessary skills to make informed environmental decisions and take responsible action.
- Shared Footprints Award presented by Government of Alberta.
- Recognizing those who have exemplified land and water stewardship, built shared knowledge, improved air quality, reduced land disturbances, and encouraged ecotourism.