The Alberta Tomorrow Foundation (albertatomorrow.ca) is an eco-hero because to date it has educated more than 12 000 Albertans on land-use and has given many students exposure to critical, real life, environmentally sensitive decisions being made in Alberta. Alberta Tomorrow is a free, online, educational tool that educates Albertans on the importance of sustainable land-use planning. Alberta Tomorrow is critically reviewed and has a board of directors comprised of representatives from industry, non-profits, government, and education. Anyone can access and use Alberta Tomorrow, although is primarily used in a school setting and offers curriculum-linked school visits and lesson plans with adaptations for students throughout grades 1-12.
Using the Alberta Tomorrow simulator allows students to:
- View educational videos and discover potential benefits and impacts of different land-use practices in Alberta.
- Improve understanding of Alberta’ ecosystems and environmental resources.
- Observe changes in their area of the province in the last century, and look at a potential future.
- Develop their own plan for Alberta’s future using technology that is based on the real modelling and simulation software that professionals use.
- Track and share water quality and land-use observations with other classes throughout Alberta.
- Create and submit reports with project findings