The Alberta Emerald Foundation believes in inspiring the next generation of EcoHeroes by supporting Alberta’s young people (aged 25 and under) in their environmental efforts. With funds from founding program sponsors, and other sponsors and individual donors, the Alberta Emerald Foundation provides micro-grants of up to $500 to youth-led and youth-targeted environmental projects and initiatives. The Alberta Emerald Foundation intends to allocate over 100 Youth Environmental Engagement Grants each year.
presented in part by
HOW TO APPLY
To assist with the costs associated with environmental engagement activities, schools, classrooms, and community groups are invited to apply for a micro-grant of up to $500.
Applications can be submitted in the following categories:
For the development of new green spaces, or the enhancement and improvement of existing ones. Includes community gardens, outdoor classrooms, and urban naturalization projects.
For educational experiences that result in environmental learning, inspiration, and personal/professional development. Includes presentations, experiments, field trips.
For the initiation of renewable energy or energy conservation projects, or the enhancement and improvement of existing ones. One exemplary recipient receives additional funding through the Energy Efficiency Champion Award, presented at the Emerald Awards.
GREEN GUARDIANS (PRESENTED BY ABCRC)
For the protection and/or restoration and/or maintenance of natural habitats and areas. Also for the creation of new recycling or composting programs, or the enhancement and improvement of existing ones.
- There are two annual granting periods: Fall (August to December) and Spring (January to June).
- Successful applicants will receive a first cheque of (up to) $300. The second cheque of $200 will be issued once the Alberta Emerald Foundation receives a follow-up report about the project. Follow-up reports must be received within three months of the project start date.
- Only group projects will be considered. The project or initiative must be led by or targeted to individuals who are aged 25 years and under.
- Grant applications will be reviewed monthly. Funds will be allocated to those projects that best support the goals of the Youth Environmental Engagement Grant program.
- Grants will only be distributed to future projects, and cannot be backdated.
- A maximum of two grants will be issued to each school/organization per year. Applicants may submit their second proposal once their follow-up report from their first project has been received and approved by the Alberta Emerald Foundation.
- Only Albertan-based projects will be considered. All projects must be youth-led or youth-targeted environmental initiatives.