Welcome to the 26th Annual Emerald Awards nominations. By showcasing and elevating Alberta’s outstanding environmental achievements, we inspire others to follow their examples. We thank you for your time to complete the nomination process.
We have created this How-To Guide to help you with your nomination. From start to finish, the nomination process should take no more than two hours to complete; however, we require up to two support letters for every nomination which may take more time to gather. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Before you get started
If you are a returning nominator this year, you may have noticed we have updated our nominations system. We hope it simplifies the nomination process. We appreciate any feedback you may have, and encourage you to contact us with any questions.
As the system is new, we recommend drafting your nomination in a Word document, and copy/pasting it into your online form. This not only allows you to edit your work before submitting it, but it also saves it in case the new system does not.
We thank you for your patience!
- November 1, 2016 – Nominations open.
- February 17, 2017 – Nominations deadline. Our system will close at 4 pm.
- March 31, 2017 – Emerald Awards Finalist Announcement.
- June 6, 2017 – 26th Annual Emerald Awards presentation (Recipient Announcement)
Things to consider when writing your nomination. – or –
What our judges may take into consideration when reading it.
- The Emerald Awards recognize and celebrate environmental excellence. How is your project or initiative different or more innovative than others? How has it raised the bar in our province and beyond? How has it positively impacted others? Make sure your full story is represented in your nomination.
- Stick to the point. We know you have a lot of great things to say about your work, and it is challenging to put it all into 200 words or less. With that in mind, please know that bullet points are perfectly acceptable.
- Although our judges may go above and beyond to seek out more information on your work that is not included in your nomination, this is not an expectation we have of them. Each judge has many nominations to review, and so we suggest ensuring you include all of the information that will make your nomination stand out.
- There are 12 unique categories that cover all sectors in our province: Large Business, Small Business, Community Group & Non-Profit: Large, Community Group & Non-Profit: Grassroots, Education: School or Classroom, Education: Post-Secondary, Public Education & Outreach, Government Institution, Individual Commitment, Emerald Challenge: Innovation, Youth, and Shared Footprints. A maximum of three nominations per category will be chosen as finalists. Only one finalist per category will be named as the recipient.
- Make sure to review and edit your nomination before submitting it. We recommend having a colleague or friend look it over – another good reason to write your nomination in a Word document first.
- You have the ability to attach supporting documents to better illustrate your project for our judges; however, we recommend you do not include documents that may overwhelm them. For example, photos or videos are great, whereas a 100-page report will not likely be read. Although we allow for one support document to be uploaded, we encourage you to think outside the box (ie photos can be put into a PowerPoint presentation to create a slide show).
- Give yourself time to create your ultimate nomination. We want you to tell your best story, and that rarely happens on the first draft. The entire submission process should take no longer than an hour or two, but it may take a few weeks to gather all of your information, support letters, and documents. Under no circumstances are we able to adjust our deadline.
- We are here to help. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or (780) 616-1556 or (780) 905-0390.
Submitting Your Nomination
Our nominations system can be accessed on our HOMEPAGE.
- Step 1 – Create a username and password.
In order to log into the nominations system, you are required to create an account. This will allow you to return to your nomination if you do not complete your submission in one session. You may select the “lost password” option if necessary.
- Step 2 – Complete the “Before you get started…” Questionnaire
While we support and encourage all those who are committed to positively impacting the environment to submit a nomination, our judges award those who meet certain criteria, primarily those that are well established (active for 3 years or more). To assist in your nomination process and to determine your eligibility for an Emerald Award, please complete the “Before you get started…” questionnaire (the first five questions of the nomination form) to the best of your knowledge. If you respond “no” to any questions, it may not be time to nominate your project just yet.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
- Step 3 – Complete the “Nominee Information” form
A nominee is defined as the person, project or organization that is being nominated for an Emerald Award. If you are both the nominee and the nominator (in other words, you are nominating yourself for the Emerald Award), please complete this section with your own information.
- Project Name: This is the name of the project you are nominating. If you are not nominating a specific project, but rather a person or organization as a whole, please put the person’s or organization’s name here.
- Category: Please select the category you are nominating your person, project or organization in. Depending on the category selected, there may be subcategories. For example, if “Business” is selected, an additional drop down list will appear to split the category into Large and Small. Select the one that is most appropriate for your nomination.
- Number of Years Active: If you are nominating a project or initiative, please provide the number of years the project has been active. If you are nominating an organization as a whole or a person, please put the length of time they have been actively pursuing environmental excellence.
- Nominee First Name and Last Name: If you are nominating a project or organization, please submit the name of the person who will be our point of contact.
- Complete the remainder of the form.
- Step 4 – Complete the nomination form
Provide the information outlined in each of the fields. We recommend drafting your responses in a Word document and copy/pasting them into the form. Please note: There is a 200 word limitation on each of the fields. Provide specific information that describes and supports the nominee’s work and environmental commitment.
- Step 5 – Complete the “Support” field
- Why should the nominee receive and Emerald Award: This question is in the same format as the “Project Details and Achievements” page. We recommend drafting your responses in a Word document and copy/pasting them into the form.
- Project or Organization Website (optional): If your nominee has a website, you can provide it here. Judges may visit it to gain a better understanding of the nominee.
- Supporting URL (optional): You may submit one supporting URL. This can include YouTube or Vimeo videos, online articles or blogs, etc.
- Provide letters of support in the “Attach Supporting Documents” section. If you are nominating yourself, we require two letters of support. If you are nominating someone else, we only require one letter as your nomination acts as a recommendation.: These must be third-party endorsements of the project, person or organization you are nominating. Please submit them as PDFs. Please note that the system will not allow you to submit your nomination without your support letter(s) attached. To attach a file, click “Add a new attachment”>select attachment type from the drop-down list>click “choose file”>select file you wish to upload (it can be dragged and dropped into the form)>click “attach”>ensure your nomination is updated with the attachment.
- Supporting Document (optional): You may provide one supporting document of your choice. This can include articles written about your nominee, presentations, photos, etc. These can be submitted in the “Attach Supporting Documents” section along with your support letters.
- Step 6 – Complete the “Final Questions”
Once you have completed the remaining questions on the form, hit “OK”
- Step 7 – Give yourself a pat on the back.
Submitting an Emerald Award nomination takes time and dedication. If at any time you have questions, please feel free to contact us. We are here to make the process as effortless as possible.