Jalen Hulit is an inspiring youth growing up on his Family’s ranch along the north slopes of the Sweet Grass Hills. For the past three years, Jalen has participated in the Southern Alberta Youth Range Days (YRD) program – a summer camp that provides an opportunity for aspiring young adults interested in Native Rangelands, Ranching, Watersheds and Wildlife related topics to learn about management and receive mentoring from professionals working in the field. Each year an award is presented to the ‘top hand’ that shows leadership, understanding and the highest performance in workbook activities throughout the event. In 2012, Jalen was the recipient of the ‘top hand’ award. Prior to which Jalen was a winner in the Caring for our Watersheds Contest for his project to wrap cottonwood seedings along the milk river to protect against beaver and other wildlife damage. In early 2013, through his experience with CFW and YRD, Jalen was invited to represent Alberta at the Society for Range Management High School Youth Forum in Oklahoma City, OK. Jalen’s presentation reflected on his experiences with his families ranching operation in protecting sensitive native rangelands and riparian areas, as well as his mentoring from YRD and other programs to where he hopes to continue his families legacy of stewardship. In competing with 28 state champions, Jalen received 3rd place overall, the highest ever placing from a Canadian Youth.
- ALBERTA EMERALD FOUNDATION PRESENTS THE 27TH ANNUAL EMERALD AWARDS
- MEDIA ADVISORY: ALBERTA EMERALD FOUNDATION TO ANNOUNCE 27th ANNUAL EMERALD AWARDS RECIPIENTS
- ALBERTA EMERALD FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES 27TH ANNUAL EMERALD AWARDS FINALISTS
- CALLING ALL ECOHEROES! ALBERTA’S EMERALD AWARDS NOMINATIONS NOW OPEN.
- Edmonton’s Poet Laureate Crafted a Stunning Poem for the 26th Annual Emerald Awards – Listen to it here!