In 2007, the City of Edmonton opened its Reuse Centre, a drop-off facility for household materials, based on the growing popularity of volunteer-based community Reuse Fairs. The Centre accepts many items not accepted elsewhere, which are made available for purchase by organizations and individuals for a nominal fee. The Centre has grown in popularity, and moved to a larger location in 2014 to accommodate the increase in customers and donations. With a growing staff and more than 300 volunteers, the Reuse Centre received nearly 30,000 customer visits, and accepted 243 tonnes in donations in 2015. It continues to expand its educational and community engagement capacity to promote the idea and benefits of reuse. By offering new educational programs in 2016, the Reuse Centre aims to further enhance public awareness and accessibility to its reuse-focused information, programming, and services.
- Words from true Canadian gem Pierrette Requier
- Press Release: The 28th Annual Emerald Awards celebrate another year of environment excellence in Alberta
- MEDIA ADVISORY: The 28th Annual Emerald Awards will shine an (LED) light on Alberta’s most innovative leading organizations in environmental excellence
- ALBERTA EMERALD FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES THIS YEAR’S EMERALD AWARD FINALISTS
- Celebrate your Albertan EcoHero with a 28th Annual Emerald Award Nomination