Higher education plays a key role demonstrating and advancing sustainability in society. To advance the University of Alberta’s performance, the Board of Governors endorsed the campus sustainability initiative in 2008 and creation of the Office of Sustainability. Launched in 2009, the office delivers programs in three focus areas: outreach & engagement, academic teaching & research and facilities & operations. This nomination concentrates on the outreach & engagement focus area which: delivers projects that build sustainability skills and knowledge; connects people to information, experts, tools and funding; profiles and promotes campus initiatives; crafts meaningful partnerships and builds action-oriented programs. Since its launch, the program has achieved: silver rating in the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS™); 2011 Case Study Award from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE); 2012 Community Partner of the Year Award from Goodwill; Canada’s Greenest Employer designation 2009-2012; and three Green Keys for the Lister Conference Centre and Guest Suites.
- 7 fun and free (or low cost) sustainability events in Alberta this summer
- Words from true Canadian gem Pierrette Requier
- Press Release: The 28th Annual Emerald Awards celebrate another year of environment excellence in Alberta
- MEDIA ADVISORY: The 28th Annual Emerald Awards will shine an (LED) light on Alberta’s most innovative leading organizations in environmental excellence
- ALBERTA EMERALD FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES THIS YEAR’S EMERALD AWARD FINALISTS