10 simple ways you can reduce your global footprint this Earth Day
- Stop the bottled-water madness. Buy a reusable container and bring it with you. Cheaper, more eco-friendly and potentially better for your health.
- Don’t brush it off! Turning off the water while brushing your teeth can save more than five gallons of water a day.
- Second-hand is first-rate! Consider buying used before buying new. You’ll save money and reduce the global impact. The library is a great place to start.
- With #3 in mind, think of donating or reselling before you throw things away.
- Adjust your thermo stat! By adjusting your thermostat one degree warmer in the summer and one degree cooler in the winter will reduce your energy use by 10%
- You’ve found your match! Most lighters are made with plastic and fuelled by butane, and over 1.5 billion end up in the landfill every year. Cardboard matches are now often times made from recycled paper.
- Fly with an e-ticket! This trend is the way of the future, and saves both your airline and you money.
- Switch to online billing. Not only does it reduce paper, but also the fuel used to get your bill to you.
- Keep your lawn green! If you must, water early in the morning. Treat weeds with vinegar. Skip the bag and use your clippings as fertilizer.
- It’s a wrap! Skip the paper and be creative when wrapping presents.
Want to share your eco-friendly tips? Join us on Facebook or Twitter.