The Alberta Emerald Foundation celebrates and showcases environmental leadership in Alberta, setting an example of environmental excellence for all to follow.
Since 1992, over 2500 examples of creative thinking and innovation in environmental management systems, technologies and education programs have been shared, helping Alberta balance its growth and resource development with the preservation of our environment.
The objectives of the Alberta Emerald Foundation are to:
- Stimulate public and corporate environmental awareness in Alberta
- Enhance youth participation by encouraging young people to become involved in environmental projects
- Encourage behavioural change by recognizing environmental excellence
- Expand and create new environmental excellence recognition initiatives
- Create and strengthen strategic partnerships
- Ensure the sustainability of the Alberta Emerald Foundation
In the face of new and increasing pressures on our Alberta landscapes, the Alberta Emerald Foundation aims to be the catalyst to raise the expectations and performance of environmental stewardship.
We believe there are many elements that come together to foster and sustain our environment:
- The assurance of the quality of air, water and land
- The preservation of Alberta’s biological diversity
- The fostering of knowledge, values and behaviours that will ensure the continuation of a healthy environment.
By celebrating environmental excellence, the Alberta Emerald Foundation works to raise the public’s awareness of the tremendous growth in these areas.
To recognize, celebrate and inspire environmental excellence
Alberta Emerald Foundation is a catalyst for inspiring environmental excellence
- Recognition of environmental excellence
- Communication and collaboration with others
- Promotion of environmental attitudinal change
- Integrity and credibility of the Foundation
Who We Are
The Alberta Emerald Foundation operates almost exclusively through the contributions of time and talent of committed volunteers. From board and committee members, to those who judge over 100 Emerald Award nominations each year, the importance of this group cannot be overlooked.
Alan L. Ross, Partner,
Borden, Ladner Gervais
Patricia Leeson, Associate General Counsel & Assistant Corporate Secretary, Capital Power Corporation
Alex Simpson, CA
Communications Committee Chair:
Partner, Prismatic Group Inc.
Resource Development Committee Chair:
City Manager, City of Edmonton
Governance Committee Chair:
Andy Etmanski, Partner, Millennium EMS Solutions
Ken Kan, Environment, Health & Safety Manager, GE Energy
Paul Manuel, Public Affairs Advisor, Syncrude Canada
Lisa Sadownik, Executive Director, Government of Alberta – Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
Tim Schultz, Congruence Consulting
John Van Ham, Manager, Environmental Stewardship, ConocoPhillips Canada
Sharon Young, Director, Environmental and Safety Management, City of Calgary
Communications & Outreach Manager:
Volunteering with the Alberta Emerald Foundation
The Alberta Emerald Foundation is volunteer driven. We thank those who generously share their time, talent and expertise. Volunteers are involved with the Board of Directors, committees, special events and as ambassadors.
Alberta Emerald Foundation
Contact us at 780.616.1556 or firstname.lastname@example.org.